Deborah Miller Tate
Deborah Miller Tate
Born in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, raised in Blackstone, Massachusetts. Ms. Tate always knew she wanted to be an attorney. Both of her parents worked in textile mills and wanted to ensure that their daughter had every opportunity to go to college and then to pursue a degree in law. She was able to attend Classical High School in Providence, commuting daily from Blackstone, Massachusetts!
One of the highlights of her legal career was to serve as President of the Rhode Island Bar Association from 1999 - 2000. At that time, the organization had in excess of 5000 lawyers as members.
In 2004, she became the only divorce attorney (and remains so) from Rhode Island to be elected and designated a Diplomate of the American College of Family Trial Lawyers, of which there are approximately 100 members nationwide. Prior to that, in 1991, Ms. Tate became the first female from Rhode Island and only one of six attorneys to be elected and designated a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. In 1997, she was awarded the Distinguished Service Award.
Ms. Tate has been chosen by her peers, since inception in 2007 as a Rhode Island Super Lawyer as well as the Top 50 Women Super Lawyers in New England.
Most recently, in 2009 and continuing she is the Co-Editor of A Practical Guide to Divorce in Rhode Island which was published in 2009 and is a go-to guide for attorneys, judges, accountants and mediators.
She participates in various 5K's, half-marathons as a walker, raising money for various charities. In 2009, she walked the Boston Marathon for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute's Jimmy Fund walk.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- 100% Family Law
- Rhode Island, 1982
- Massachusetts, 1981
- Florida, 1987
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- LL.M. - 1985
- Major: Taxation
- New England School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1981
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts
- Bachelor of Business Administration - 1977
- Major: Accounting
- American Bar Association Family Advocate, American Journal of Family Law
- Continuing Legal Education - Family Law, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Lecturer, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Institute for Training New Lawyers
- Continuing Legal Education, Family Law Section of the American Bar Association
- Law Education Institute
- Co-Reporter, Family Law Quarterly Law in 50 States, American Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 1990 - Present
- President, Rhode Island Bar Association, 1999 - 2000
- Top 50 Best Lawyers in RI, One of Four Best Divorce and Family Lawyers, RI Magazine
- Diplomat, American College of Family Trial Lawyers, 2004 - Present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2007 - Present
- Rhode Island Super Lawyers, 2007 - Present
- Distinguished Service Award - American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2000 - Present
- AV - Preeminent Attorney - Martindale-Hubbell 2013. Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Gallogly Family Law Inn of Court, Master, 1995 - Present
- Rhode Island Supreme Court Ethics Advisory Panel, Past Chair, 1995 - 1999
- Rhode Island Commission on Judicial Tenure & Discipline, Past Member, 1995 - 2001
- Rhode Island Bar Foundation, Vice President/Fellow, 1995 - Present
- Rhode Island Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, 2003 - Present
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member, 1982 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Lipsey & Sholnik, Partner, 1983 - 1993
- Alpha Chi Omega